April 26, 2017

Fresh Air Matters

After we released our students today we had a grade level P.L.C. A P.L.C. is an abbreviation for Professional Learning Community. Professional Learning Community is a fancy name for "We had a meeting!"  I have been a little stuffed up because of spring allergies. The room we held the meeting in is not one that we normally hold it in. I walked in didn't think anything about it. I suddenly became very very tired. I mentioned it to a colleague a couple of times. Then I started to get choked up and started coughing. I asked if there was a scent or perfume in the room. The teacher had on a Scentsy wax warmer. She immediately turned it off, but I was coughing more and feeling out of breath. I left the room and realized it had triggered my allergy related asthma. I got back to my classroom and I knew I had my inhaler but I couldn't think of where I had it. Not enough oxygen = unclear thinking. A colleague came in and tried to help me. At first I couldn't talk. I just had to sit and think of only inhaling and exhaling for a minute. It got better and soon started talking. I told her to leave me for a bit so I could just breathe and drink some water and calm down. I decided to go outside for a  bit to stand up straight and breathe in fresh air. I forgot to communicate where I was going, and panicked my poor colleagues a 2nd time. After I had more air in me I realized I left my inhaler in my "recess" jacket.

I felt so bad I had scared them all. I am putting my classroom inhaler in one place so they can find it easily. I am giving one to the school nurse. After school I called in for my refill on another inhaler. That one will travel with me.

This may sound strange, but I am glad this happened. Why? Because when I say I am allergic to scents or I can't breathe with them I am often dismissed. Unless you have experienced it or have this same issue It seems far-fetched. I had told my colleagues a couple of times that I react to it, but I know they didn't really understand. They understand now.

That first sign of feeling so tired so quickly was my body saying "HELLO NEED AIR HERE." I just didn't recognize that quickly enough. Since my nose was plugged I didn't smell the scent in the air. I really hate those wax warmers. Most of the time those have chemicals that create the artificial smell. I wish they would just use a quality essential oil and a little water in them if needed. Even a diffuser would be better.

My colleagues were very good about checking on me and taking care of me. I work with good people!

No comments:

Post a Comment