April 24, 2017

Juice and Dinner



It is very obvious my brother hates me. He bought me a juicer and suggested a recipe. I finally removed it from the box, bought all of the ingredients, washed all the moving parts, and made juice. I have three bottles to get through in three days.




I thought I could drink most of it before work but that did not happen. It was clear this process would take some time. So, I took it to work. My students were horrified by the beverage. They were very vocal with their "ewwws"

My students questions and comments:

What IS that?
It looks like poop!
Is someone making you drink that?
Can we try some?
You make a face when you drink that!
What is in that?
What is kale?
You should put something yummy in it so it doesn't taste bad! Like cookies...


The student who asked me if someone made me drink it, walked up to me and spoke in hushed tones. He was very concerned. I'm not sure if he thought I was being tortured or if my health was so bad they were making me drink it. He was relieved to hear that it was voluntary. As I typed the word voluntary...I winced. I did make the juice, I did drink it, I did buy the veggies to make it, but there was a sense of obligation to test it out! I don't want to test any of my students gag reflexes so I will not be sharing with the class.

I asked mom for a few dinner suggestions. I was avoiding a grocery store stop. She had all kinds of ideas that involved a lot of greens. I had my greens plus some today. I even ate a spinach and leaf lettuce salad for lunch. I've done my part. Needless to say it is the end of the month the groceries are thin, and I don't want to shop. Dinner has become experimental. I am nervous. I cooked hamburger, made a roux, and threw in green beans (shoot..more green). I threw all this into a casserole dish sprinkled cheese on the mix. On the very top I added canned, sliced, new potatoes. Yeah....no idea if this will turn out. I have a back up can of chili...it has red things in it...very exciting! I thought this juice would be so filling I wouldn't want to eat dinner. I think it is more that I need a cleansed palate.



No comments:

Post a Comment