October 20, 2012

2 Months

Almost two months into school and I still haven't received my handwriting books. The kids are perpetually bugging me for them. I don't know why they aren't here yet and I am tired of asking the question. It is great the kids want to work on their writing though. Sigh.

I look back on last week and talk about a busy one. I was fighting getting sick and didn't really know it till Thursday afternoon when vomiting seemed like the best idea ever. I never managed it but I did manage to get a low fever and have the chills. I went to bed early which was good because the next day I had to get up early to leave for a training.

What I see happening here is the same I have seen in other districts. Administration gets stressed about test scores. So they decide a million trainings is the best idea. So you go to all the trainings and become a master of none of the strategies. I wish they would focus on one area. Give you tons of support on improving in that area and then move on to another.  The brain gets overloaded.

I talk with a good friend quite often and we dream of our "dream school" when we when the lottery and build it. LOL. I know if I gave my students that many different strategies in one sitting. They'd be wandering out to recess with glazed over eyes much like I left the meeting.  It is also a problem that some people are so resistant to the changes and insist they already teach this way they don't listen at all. They already know it. Oh dear.  They predict with the changes to the Common Core Standards a lot of teachers will go into retirement. Change is hard.

I started painting our "fish pond" for the Halloween Carnival. I only have a coat of primer down. I need to get it done before Thursday so wish me luck! I also have an observer from the state coming to my classroom on Wednesday! Oh me oh my! 

I had the joy of talking with a former colleague this week. It was so good and so encouraging to chat with her. She even e-mailed me some of her wonderful ideas and lessons I remembered from her class. I now wish I had spent more time in her classroom. She ran into one of the parents of my students and heard a glowing report. It was nice to hear because the past few weeks have been decidedly discouraging.  It is all a tad overwhelming right now. I have hope this week will be a good one. If not the parents are coming down to see me. Wait till they meet my list of chores.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment