May 18, 2013

Optimistic

It was  a good day today. I drove about an hour to watch a couple of my students compete in a barrel race. It is good to see them out of their usual context because  you can get an idea of how they behave in different situations.  It also means a lot to them when you show up to their event. Anyhow it was fun to watch them and see how these little people ride these big animals with such confidence.

For the first time in awhile I am feeling optimistic about my job situation. We may be changing administration. I really, really, hope this happens. It would be a huge change and we would all be held more accountable. I am okay with that because I know that things will be taken care of and that would relieve so much of my stress. I know that I may get told NO, now and then but it would be from the voice of experience. I also know that I may not like the answer I get all of the time, but at least I would get an answer. Sometimes we are forced to handle things we probably shouldn't because otherwise they don't get taken care of at all.

There seems to be a lot of possible changes in the air which really makes me more excited about my job. Which is sooo good. I was getting so discouraged about things that it was hard to see possibility if that makes sense. Anyhow, I don't know anything for sure but time will tell.  We don't have much school left till the end of the year. I am very much looking forward to summer break. I have several school related projects I want to work on over the summer, but over all I am really excited about a change of pace. There has been so many stressful events at work this year, no heat, floods, staff, drama, etc. That It is time for me to head northwest and see water, and trees, and the like.  

There was a request out on a social media site from a former colleague of mine. Their sun has an extremely rare disease their son has been in and out of the hospital since birth. They had to fly to the east coast for genetic testing to find out what was going on. They finally moved to a large city so he could get better medical care. He is doing phenomenally well since they made this move. He has an electric wheelchair he isn't able to walk very far. Anyhow, a lady with kind generosity donated them a wheel chair lift for the chair. If you've ever tried to move one of those you know how heavy they can be. They asked if there was anything they could do to say thank you! The lady told them she wanted a cow skull for her yard. So I put the word out and one day a student walks in with a bull skull, one horn still intact.  I thought this was sooo great. I took it to the other teachers and said " Your students might bring you an apple or chocolate, but look what my students bring for me!" We had a couple of chuckles about that. Now I have to get it to my former colleague. I hope to be able to do this in a couple of weeks.  I hope it is what the lady had in mind.  

Not much time left until the end of the year. I've really been pushing the kids to keep working up till the end and they have! I am very proud of them for pushing hard. There are a couple of exceptions but the majority of them are giving it their all.   I had a parent tell me that school was supposed to be "FUN". I said no school is about learning and learning isn't always "easy or fun". Sometimes learning is work. I do try to make it fun to learn but isn't one of the lessons we have to learn in life that we have to overcome things that are hard for us? To do this we need to continue to work through them even when they aren't "FUN"!   I appreciate the parents who really see that I am pushing their students because I want them to have success in learning, and in life.    I am looking forward to my parents coming down for a visit soon! It will be good to have a little help. I have to empty my classroom so that they can redo all of the flooring, finishing fixing drywall, and a fire alarm system and other updates. Hopefully they have all this done in a timely manner this summer.  We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment