May 30, 2013

Smokey and Opportunities

My day started with a phone call.  A principal asked a former colleague of mine to call me. "Tell her to get over here and do what it takes to get her here!" It was a boost this morning to feel that rush that someone thinks you are good at your job and they want you at their school.  At work all these little faces looking at me made it really hard to consider moving at this point.

Then I had a meeting this afternoon. I've fought for two years to get a student help. The head of that department finally sat and talked with me before spring break and made it happen. Someone else tried to sabotage it moving forward. My heart sunk. I think the person had a personal issue with me and made it about that instead of the student. I had a horrible experience with this person last year and I was asked to write up what had happened. UGGH! So luckily the head of the department could set all of that aside and make it about the student.  So finally after two years I can get this student the help needed.  The head of that department told me "we should've done this for you and him a long time ago".  Anyhow the bottom line is it finally happened. So many times I  was near tears for this kiddo. I really hope this will make a huge difference.

This afternoon Smokey the Bear came to school. The kids were so excited to see him. It is really funny to me that even the kids who think they are too "big" for these things still went and gave Smokey a hug. Then as we were leaving my kindergartner ran over to Smokey and made him lean down so he could whisper in Smokey's ear. I don't know what he said but Smokey have him a "thumbs-up". Cracked me up. You never know what the kids will do. 

After  meeting Smokey and learning about fire safety  I took the kids up to the field for some play time. On Thursday Afternoons it is the only way to keep them sane. They played a couple of rounds of "Spiders and Flies" and then it was time to go home.  Every year I make a CD for my students of songs we learn throughout the year. I play a lot of music in my classroom but I forget how much I do until the kids start helping me make this list. It is really great because the majority of them are education related. They even requested some of the classical music I play. It makes me feel good when we make this list because I know they love the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment