I was talking with a colleague who was quite upset about athletes kneeling during the national anthem. Her grandfather served in World War II, an uncle served in Vietnam, the list went on. She felt it was very disrespectful to them. She was sad that her son who loves football was watching this spectacle. She had a discussion with him. He was so disappointed he turned the game off. She was in tears over this. I looked at her and said "Athletes are not role models." She told me "They should be."
We've put ourselves and our children in dangerous spaces by idolizing athletes. I really don't see any parents spending much time discussing the athletes character. They discuss their skills, abilities, talents, and athleticism. Athletes are not role models. They are desired for their abilities. Their character has to have a major flaw before anyone takes note and they are removed. Their character comes second. That is why we see disrespect from them. They've been taught it doesn't matter how they behave as long as they perform.
I have a suggestion. Find some role models. You might have one in your house, on your street, in your town. I think you might even find a couple biblical role models (ahem). There are many amazing people throughout history that are role models of note. Mother Theresa, George Műller, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne Frank, Corrie Ten Boom, Gladys Aylward, Helen Keller, Harriet Tubman to name a few perhaps. Even these amazing folks had some character flaws. That can open an amazing discussion. However, their character came first.
I'd love to see more attention given to the people who need help. Puerto Ricans still recovering from the hurricanes, Mexicans recovering from earthquakes, flooded out Texans. There are some folks with some big hearts doing the right thing for their neighbors and families. Just quietly going about doing the right thing.
Simply put. Quit worshiping at the altar of sports.
No comments:
Post a Comment