It has been busy. I know I'm going to forget something so I hope I can remember the highlights. For my STEM class we were privileged to visit an underground mine. We went about 17 stories underground in just the shaft cage. I am not sure How much further we went down after that. It was deep and dark and seemed like another world. We all were provided coveralls with reflector tape, steel toed rubber boots, headlamps, a respirator, and a safety presentation. The respirator was precautionary as the mine had an amazing ventilation system. Air sucked through a ridiculously huge fan was pushed down into the mine while another sucked the bad air out. There was a maintenance shop underground, a "car" wash, a huge jack for oil changes, and even a lunch room. We saw where the carts carry the ore above ground.
We were able to watch miners placing bolts in the walls of one of the branches they were getting ready to pull ore out of. The bolts were put in to hold up the surrounding walls, then a layer of "shock-crete" is placed over that. This is done as they go to prevents rocks falling or cave-ins. It wasn't a day they were trucking ore to the bins to raise to the surface it was a maintenance day, so we didn't get to see blasting either. Although I am not complaining about that. It sounded quite dusty and not as exciting as one might think. Well unless you like carefully placing explosive which may bring out the inner eight year old boy in some!
The ventilation tubes were quite large and you could feel the air blowing in. The fresh air felt amazing down there. You could immediately notice the change in air quality when you were further away from the ventilation, or near the outtake ventilation.
We also got to go into the room that has the hoist cables which carry the "cage" up and down into the mine. It was also way larger than I had imagined. The "cage" is what the miners called the elevator. Elevator doesn't begin to describe it though it was built to carry the heavy mining equipment into the ground and if I remember correctly it could carry over 27,000 pounds. The "cage" part is where the miners take the two minute ride underground. The level under the cage is where "cargo" is taken down. Then above the "cage" was an area for shaft inspectors to ride and make sure the shaft didn't have any issues that could be dangerous to the operation of the hoist. It was a little spooky to realize how far underground we went so quickly.
It was also interesting to see all of the large equipment you just wouldn't expect to see underground because the only way in is in the "cage" they explained that the equipment would be delivered, mechanics would take it apart, the parts would be sent down the shaft, where mechanics would reassemble them. There was almost an assembly line of tool boxes. Each mechanic had their own box. They would get a stipend for tools. Also apparently they had to put a limit on the size of toolbox they were allowed to bring with them into the mine. We wondered if their was a "toolbox" hierarchy, as you were there longer your toolbox might be moved to a better location. I don't know why that occurred to us but it did :).
We needed our hardhats with the miners light for the light. When you were walking you had to keep an eye on the ground where you were walking or you'd slip in mud or trip on a rock in your huge mucky boots. We rode in transport trucks and I was able to sit up front which was nice because I had a great view. Once in awhile we'd have to pull off into a side channel to make way for equipment coming through. We even had to pull out of the way for a road grader. It was completely bizarre to see that underground. The maintenance areas were very well lit and all of the equipment had LED lights and reflective materials on them. Once in awhile our driver would holler something out to someone he would see and apparently they have their own lingo down there because I didn't understand a single word he said. It could've been anything from hello to get out of the way you jerk. I have no clue!
Our guides were a couple of geologists and a mine supervisor and a crew supervisor. We had a lot of people with us. Some stayed in front of us for the tour and some behind us. Making sure we stayed with the group at all times. I could see how imperative that was, for safety reasons. I'm not sure what they miners thought of a bunch of teachers coming down into their world but they were all gracious hosts.
I think we were down there about 2 1/2 hours but I kind of lost a sense of time. When we came up we were provided with box lunches. I am really glad I was able to experience this. I came home and probably washed gold dust from my hair, definitely arsenic, and other gunky rock materials.
Gunky rock materials??! This old former geologist says OUCH. [I'm glad you enjoyed your time underground, how cool!]
ReplyDeleteM.
LOL Well, better than saying icky mud right?? :) It was pretty cool
ReplyDelete