I got a few things accomplished today. I worked in my classroom for about 3 hours. Mostly sorting through what I thought I would need and setting the rest aside. I came home for lunch. I set up my garbage service... Oh the luxury of garbage service. Of course it does eliminate midnight trips to the dump ;). I then had to go buy a trash can. The disposal company is a small local business it isn't part of a corporate division so their trash service is basic. It is still sooo nice though. I love it. I mean it I LOVE it!!! I worked on unpacking and rearranging some more at home as well. I also worked on laundry. So it was a somewhat productive day.
We have a produce co-op here called Bountiful Baskets. You see it a lot in rural communities in the west but also in large cities as well. It gives the rural communities a chance to get good produce year round. Every two weeks they deliver it and volunteers sort and get it ready for customers who pre-ordered their produce. I missed the last one because it was in the midst of the move. The next one will be coming up soon. What is great though is I haven't completely missed out on the joy of it. My neighbor has been sharing. I've had some amazing peaches and nectarines. Tonight at about 10 p.m. I received a text message from next door that went like this:
"Do you have any sugar?"
"Yep how much do you need?"
"A cup and a half. Trying grape jam and ran out of sugar"
" I will be right over"
So I took my sugar over and she continued making jam. She traded me a bag of grapes for the sugar. She had bought a crate of grapes and was trying to use them up because she didn't think they'd last more than a couple of days. It was a large bag of grapes and I knew I wouldn't be able to eat them all in the next couple of days. I plucked all the grapes off their vines and put them in a freezer bag. Grapes freeze nicely and will go great in a fruit smoothie.
The borrowing a cup of sugar cracked me up. It is just the classic neighbor question. It reminded me of times I ran next door to borrow a couple of eggs when I decided to bake. I usually did this in the evening when everyone went to bed because then they didn't get in the way. I had one of our ministers tell me it was just "cruel" to bake at night. I had decided to make cinnamon rolls and I made them and baked them. The smell drifted through the house and you could smell them all night long. I am sure it was torture waiting until morning.
It will be fun to start getting baskets of produce and seeing what I can cook up or do with the produce. I am sure there will be some that I am not so fond of. That is part of the adventure though. Have a good night!

No comments:
Post a Comment