August 18, 2013

Printing, Cooking, Back-to-School

Well you never know what you'll end up doing in your life, where you will go, or what machines you will learn how to use. I worked at a print shop for a day. I am an old master at the copier from when I worked for the Ed Department at the community college, to the registrars office for my bachelors degree, and of course as a teacher. So I did more copy machine work it was very familiar work. I also worked with a paper folding machine, shrink wrapping (fun),  a paper shaker, and a computer program I was unfamiliar with for publishing. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had working, it wasn't the hardest job either, and I earned a little extra cash which never hurts.   I could've worked more days but I really had to work on school stuff.

I have been procrastinating a little on school stuff. I think it is because I lived and breathe my job sooo much the last couple of years that I was kind of relishing the separation from it. I have a kitchen I can cook in and all my kitchen machines, utensils, and more that make cooking fun. I am enjoying having something that feels more like a home and I don't feel like a visitor. That has a lot to do with having my own things again. I still have a gazillion of boxes to go through of stuff I haven't seen in two years. My "yard-sale" pile is growing. Now I just need to find someone who is having one :)!

I got my first bountiful basket yesterday it had bananas, mangoes, a pineapple, mandarin oranges, onions, green onions (icck), romaine lettuce, cucumber, spinach, avocados, tomatoes, and there may have been more but that is all I can think of. So now I have to figure out how to use it or lose it. Some of the fruit isn't quite ripe yet. If I don't eat it I can cut it up, freeze it, and use it in a smoothie. I may attempt gluten free banana bread if I am feeling brave.

Tonight I made a batch of Taco Soup. It is my go-to soup when I am feeling a little congested. It gets the nose running! It tastes wonderful on a cold winters night.  I set one bowl aside for me to enjoy and froze the rest. I have seen recipes for it online but mine is a gluten free option. My freezer is getting a nice stash in it. This week we have a day of "training" which they call a "retreat" it is not required as we are not paid for it. I can't really say what it will be like as I haven't been to it. We go up to a camp ground about an hour from town, lunch  is provided,  and we talk about goals and what not for the school year. On Wednesday I have to go to "new teacher training" which sounds like it is more about the dreaded paperwork than anything. It allows the district to have all the "newbies" get the work done at the same time. On Thursday we will have PLC's. Which I hope means we will have time to meet as a grade level, I'm not sure what it will look like. It is our first official "work day".  The 26th is the first day of school and our "Back-to-school" night. That will be interesting. I think that first week of school is always exhausting.

Anyhow that's what is new and it ain't much but there ya go ....

No comments:

Post a Comment