January 15, 2013

Appendix

Well, the good news... it looks like we cleaned the gym floor soon enough to save it. I was down at the school all day yesterday cleaning up and getting ready for the cleaners to come in and work on phase two of the flood cleanup. The fans were blowing all day and the humidifiers running. They maintenance crew came and worked on the heating system and "jerry-rigged" it so that it is kind of working. Sort of. Anyhow, the principal and the super pushed very hard to have the school back open today. Even though when they left yesterday the hygienic report had not been done. That is the report that checks for mold, mildew, asbestos and other pleasantries. They also schedule the drillers to come in to check the walls for moisture etc, the fire marshal, the cleaners, phone company and more. I am not sure why they thought it would be good to have learning going on during all of that. I can only think that it comes down to money. It is not a healthy environment to work, breath, or learn in.

I went home last night exhausted, not feeling well, and frustrated. I realized today that whatever the fans are blowing around triggered my allergies and my lungs feel tight. I am going in to a Dr. tomorrow so hopefully I will be breathing a little easier. My poor sub said the room was cold and she had brought in her own heater. She said the humidity was high and it really smelled. All of the students were complaining of sore throats by the end of the day. She also said the copier wasn't working along with the phone systems. Another teacher also called me and said the dust from the drilling, the lack of heat, the moisture, the who knows what blowing through the fans made an unpleasant day. 

So I made it to a northerly town for my training today. I had numerous phone calls about many things school related. The principal told me to contact the secretary and I kept trying without an answer. I finally got through and she was in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy. So there ya go. She will be out for awhile. I can only hope her sub is efficient and on top of things. It was good to come up north for my class but I am totally pooped.  I went out to dinner with some colleagues and did a quick grocery store stop and came back to go to bed.  Tomorrow I am going to the Dr. before class to hopefully get some help. 

It has been an eventful couple of weeks, I  am ready for some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment