January 23, 2013

Small Spaces

I probably shouldn't have but I went in to work today. Since they have trouble calling in a substitute I feel like I have to go in sick or not. The area where the mold was was cut out and covered with plastic. The rest of the school hadn't changed much just a few less fans and dehumidifiers. There is a smell in the air and your throat gets choked up after you are there awhile.  I did recess outside and I went every time. I needed the fresh air myself.  We can't put our rooms back in order until the insurance agent comes through and re-assesses the damage. This is so frustrating because we are cramped in a tiny space. The kids are having trouble concentrating as well. It is just crowded.

One of my kiddos I was really afraid the parents were going to take the kiddo and head south for winter. The mom came in and talked to me today and they decided they couldn't do that to me or the student. WHEW!  This is a student that just shines in so many ways. It would've been hard on me to have the student go.

I am thinking I am going to have to invest in some bleach and take everything outside to air it out. I wish I could explain what a mess this is but I don't know how to do it justice. I  have so much more empathy for people who've been through flooding now. Just when you think the clean up is done you find something else. The basketball coach is really frustrated with everything.  They actually told us if we bounced on the gym floor too much it could cause the nails to pop up. That doesn't seem to bother anyone except the h.s. coach. I think they should stay off the floor even for p.e. until we are in a safer zone. That wouldn't be a popular decision.

One of my students had a couple of melt downs today. This one had been sick as well and this was the first day back to school. I held the student and said " pajamas, pillows, and blankets and a lonnnnnnng nap sound good right now don't they?"  We both agreed that if we could, we would definitely be home in pj's. We all survived another day amidst the chaos. I  am ready to have my cold over and some kind of return to normal. The room  we are in right now is next to the gym. This isn't fun when the older kids play at lunch and during p.e. It sounds like they are  bouncing the ball in our classroom.

As I type this I had to shake my head. There is one truck that drives through town with its dog in the back head hanging out the window. I know when they've gone down the hill, and back up the hill, and home! The dog barks the whole way. I hope for the sake of their neighbors the dog doesn't do this at home.  I know this is a recurring theme but guess what? I misplaced my keys... AGAIN! I couldn't have gotten home without them so I know they are round about here somewhere. I think my keys are a perfect example of how well my brain is working this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment