January 3, 2013

Let there be HEAT!

Brrr, second day in a row without heat. I ran the space heaters in my classroom all day. We partook of Hot Cocoa and tried to get some work done. Sitting in the classroom in hats and coats seems a little nuts but it is true. Getting kids working isn't very easy when they are cold. Luckily most of them brought snowsuits so that they could play in the snow. So they could put on another layer if needed.  Our low last night was 10 below. When the kids arrived at 7:45 it was 3 below. Takes a building a long time to heat up under those conditions. Apparently our boiler is heating it just isn't pushing air. I guess we should've had class in the boiler room.  I finally decided I'd had enough this afternoon and contacted a school board member. Hopefully, someone will be down over the weekend. My old aid stopped by after school yesterday and brought an electric teakettle, hot cocoa, and cups. I really appreciated that. I needed to cook something hot for dinner, haven't decided what that will be yet. I might just heat up some soup.  One of my high school aids said she went home and her parents were asking her why she was so cranky. She finally said  "cause I was cold all day long". It does make you feel kind of cranky when you can never get warm. I am looking forward to my electric mattress pad and a good nights sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment